On Saturday I went shopping and bought wait for it… a £195 bag. It is black and sturdy. It was on sale. Now ok so I’ve no business really spending that kind of money on a bag but I made up all kinds of justifications in order to hand over the credit card. What do you think…?
- It was £245. I have saved £50.
- I have never spent that kind of money on a bag ever before. The most I’ve spent is £67 about three years ago. It was also on sale and I use everyday for work. It was worth it.
- I have never been given an expensive gift before. I waited 16 years and nope it never came. A girl should be treated at least once don’t you think?
- I know I will use this bag for years.
- Damn it I felt like it!
- I was on my own and only had myself to ask for an opinion. (This is a good thing.)
- I trusted my decision. (See above.)
- It is another divorce gift to myself. (The first was a faux fur jacket in January.)
Now don’t get me wrong, I did buy a few other items but they did not equal the amount I paid for that one bag. Those purchases, I can honestly say, were practical. But the bag, like the fur jacket, is a wish list item. But I hope like the fur jacket that I wear it out and remember every time I use it that yeah baby I am worth it and I don’t need anyone else to tell me that fact. I must be good to myself and not wait on anyone else to show me love in a gift. I can say well done to myself.
So can a bag make me happy? No. Especially not when the credit card statement arrives but a once a year extravagant treat myself purchase can be a symbolic reminder that I am deserving of love and good treatment and that has to start with me being good to me.
Then again. I could have just bought myself a pack of undies from M&S for a fiver! And yeah off course I’m not so shallow that I don’t know you can’t buy self worth…but fuck it I’m a grown woman I can buy what the hell I want!